Matte and glossy are two types of finished for everything from printing paper to lipsticks. They are both different and give a different appearance. The choice for matter or glossy is based on personal preference as both are good in their own way. The Difference between Matte and Glossy is glossy images or paper are glossy while the matte version does not have this shine. For the shine, an extra layer coating is done of glossy paper while no such coating is done on matte paper. Same is the case with lipsticks.
Glossy: Origin and Use.
As the name suggests, glossy photos come with gloss all over it. If you get a glossy printed picture, they will have a sheen on them. The paper used for glossy and matte is the same but the glossy finish requires an extra coat. This extra layer adds shine to the picture. Because of this, the color becomes better and structures may become more vibrant.
However, the downside to glossy finish is the glare. Since there is a gloss on the photo, it will reflect light, making it hard to see the photo clearly in different lightings. Also, glossy photos are prone to fingerprint marks. As there is a glossy finish, the fingerprints seem very prominent on it. In the case of lipsticks, glossy finish refers to the illusion that you are wearing lip gloss on top of the lipstick. The liquid lipsticks, these days, add a glossy coat to the lips that do not dry out.
Matte: Origin and Use.
The Difference between Matte and Glossy is of the extra shiny layer that is absent in matter paper. This paper can take ink better as there is no extra layer. It is compatible with laser prints and inkjet ones too as there is no glossy coat. If you want the finished result to look slick and sleek, matte is the way to go. A benefit of matte is that it does not make fingerprints very prominent. So, the quality of the final print is not compromised.
Another Difference between Matte and Glossy is that some pens may not show well on glossy paper but you can write with any pen on matte paper. In case of lipstick, matte refers to the kind that dries on the lips and does not give a glossy appearance. It is considered more modern as many celebrities are wearing their lipsticks matte.
Summary of Difference between Matte and Glossy:
- The Difference between Matte and Glossy is that glossy finish has an extra coat which is not present in a matte finish.
- Due to this coat, the glossy finish reflects lights and may impair visibility in different lighting conditions.
- Also, some pens might not work properly on glossy paper while matte paper is suitable for all pens.
- The glossy finish is the best for bright colors and for adding a pop of sleek into the picture or paper.
- A Difference between Matte and Glossy is that glossy finish gives a smooth finish that is visually striking while matte is a bit dull.