Difference Between Peanut Butter and Jam Explained

Bread is a staple food that is eaten all around the world. To make the bread tastier, people add different spread to it. Two of them are peanut butter and jam. The Difference between Peanut Butter and Jam is that peanut butter is made from roasted nuts while the jam is made out of fruit preservatives. They both have different flavors and texture. Peanut butter normally tastes the same but jams can have different flavors based on which fruit they are made up of.

Peanut Butter: Origin and Use.

Peanut butter is a spread that is made from dry-roasted peanuts. Along with peanuts, other ingredients are also present in it to make the taste and texture better. Emulsifiers are added at times while salted peanut butter is also available in the marker. Peanut butter originated in Canada and is popular in America too. The country uses $800 million worth of peanut butter every year.

Peanut butter can be so read on toast, crackers or even pancakes. It is added as an ingredient to baked goods and breakfast foods such as crepes, cookies, croissants, and granola. There are different types of peanut butter; crunchy and smooth. The crunchy peanut butter has some fragments of peanuts in it to give texture and taste while smooth peanut butter does not have any chunks.

It has a creamy texture and the nuts are uniformly ground. According to US regulation, peanut butter must have 90% peanuts and the other 10% can be made up of salt, sweeteners, emulsifiers, etc.

Jam: Origin and Use.

Jam is a fruit preserve that is stored in glass jars normally. Jams can be made out of sugar, fruits, and vegetables. They may be sweet such as those made from apricot, apple, mango, and strawberry or they may be savory such as those made from squash. In some parts of the world, jams are called preserves while other names for this spread include marmalade, fruit spread and conserve.

To make jams, the fruit has to be reduced with sugar. Back in the day, these jams were made to be sold immediately but now they are available in jars and can be stored for a long time. There have preservatives like vinegar and sugar to sustain their shelf life. The Difference between Peanut Butter and Jam is that jams can be savory or sweet while peanut butter is the same taste.

There are different variations of jam, based on the region. In jam, the fruit and flesh of fruit are present and they are cooked until a jelled puree is formed. Normally, jams are made from a single fruit but mixed fruit jams are also available.

Summary of Difference Between Peanut Butter and Jam:

  • The Difference between Peanut Butter and Jam is that jam is made from fruits while peanut butter is made from peanuts.
  • They both are used as a spread for toast, crackers, and bread.
  • Both of them are also ingredients of sweets and breakfast recipes.
  • Another Difference between Peanut Butter and Jam is that peanut butter can be salted too but jams are sweet normally.

Leave a Comment